LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrealty View Post
I don't believe the MSRP price includes freight. And, unlike a car, a motorcycle arrives in a crate. It must be removed from the crate and requires some final assembly. Fuel and oil must be added, and the bike needs to be safety tested. So, there is some labor and costs in preparing the motorcycle before customer delivery.
Most, or maybe all motorcycle manufacturers include a couple hours set-up labor into the MSRP. Granted, the labor rate they use is, like for warranty repairs, generally less than that charged by most US dealers. But the cost of setting up a bike, less the allowance provided by the manufacturer, will generally be about 1/3 the labor cost.
At my local dealer, the service dept charges the sales dept the full labor amount for set-up, so service shows a profit. Sales passes those charges on to the customer in order to show the same profit, but money HAS been made, and sales and management already know it.
And, after all that long winded proselytizing, I wouldn't hesitate to pay at least part of the set-up charge on a new model in high demand. The MSRP + set-up is simply a starting point in negotiations. Even if you're starting at invoice, the dealer is fair in getting a little extra profit on popular models.

MSRP doesn't include freight

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. ~ Phillip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
My dealer did not charge a set up fee, only charged for freight. Very accommodating.
dukes, AnotherHobby and silverluxe like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Location: Portland, Texas(across the bay from Corpus Christi)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
LOL, my dealer, Seattle Ducati, told me they were doing me a favor by charging the Shipping and Setup costs. It was either that or they jacked up the MSRP. They actually acted offended when I asked them to at least reduce the setup fee. When there is a line of people waiting, and I was first in line here, they have all the bargaining power.

In the end, I love the bike and would have paid a bit more if I had too.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead1977 View Post
My dealer did not charge a set up fee, only charged for freight. Very accommodating.
At a time like this when everyone is trying to get a scrambler, that's quite awesome to hear, even more so when considering where you live. Sounds like you have a good dealer!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead1977 View Post
Same here.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Scrambler DIY Guru

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is charging + 200 dollars over freight, but they're a tiny shop (one parking spot on their 'lot' for a car.) They've been in business forever as a mom and pop shop, so I don't feel bad about throwing them the bone on the PDI. I was just happy to be out the door on an Icon after tax, title, license, setup, and MSRP for under 10k dollars.

AnotherHobby likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
For a Full Throttle in the Midwest I'm being charged $525 for freight, $450 for handling, $150 document fees, $10 lien, $23 plate, and $69.50 title. With $614.34 in sales tax that brings the total to $11,836.84. Ouch...

I'm going to ask the dealer to put the doc/handling fees, or at least some of them, towards accessories. I need a new set of leathers, but if I'm already paying out the wazoo for the bike I'm going to take that business elsewhere.

Last edited by semize; 05-16-2015 at 10:37 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
The out-the-door price for my yellow icon from California speed-sports was $10,668.58.
silverluxe and Yellowstone like this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here in Thailand we are paying THB 419,000 ($12,500) MSRP, they are chucking in "Ducati Worry Free Program" 4 years or 30,000 km service and maintenance cover, batteries and tyres exluded... Amazing that the bike costs more in Thailand than it does in the US when it is manufactured here!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Scrambler DIY Guru

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Garage
My amount is the same as Ralphs in the midwestern USA. I do feel bad that people in other markets are having to pay more. Wasn't someone from Mexico having to pay about 1.75x the USA amount?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page