LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Planning to buy an used scrambler

Hi guys

I am Pankaj from India and planning get one used scrambler 2015 for around $6000
Bike has done around 10000 km and looks neat, nottest driven it so far.
Need advise what to look into before buying. The dealer is providing 6 month warranty though,

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You are getting close to needing service for valve adjustment service. 12000 km (7500 miles) is the service interval. I heard it is around $1000 USD to have done. May want to talk to the dealer and negotiate something. I have a 16 Scrambler with around 5000 miles on it and really not looking forward for the little service wrench warning to pop up. Other than that, it has been a great bike with no problems. Take a test drive and assess the mechanicals before you purchase.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It would be interesting to know how many of these 803cc engines actually need valves adjusted at 12kkm or 24kkm. It is a "check and adjust if necessary" item and if there is something that is burning up or carbon-coating or wearing those valves so that they really need adjustment every 12kkm, you got a bigger problem. The valve check is a good diagnostic, if the valves stay in spec, the whole head is very likely in good condition in many aspects. Anyway, where I want to get with this, though $1000 is ridiculous even for a full adjustment on the 2-valve engine, it is outright absurd for a valve check. Yes you have to remove the tank and stuff to get to the top cylinder and whatnot, but how many hours and at what rate can it be? I would like to see the reasoning behind someone telling that it will take 10 hours and the rate is $100/hour.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 PM

I just had mine done at just under 12,000 km and valves had to be adjusted and some shims replaced...didn't go into detail with the mechanic.

The $1000 price tag is for a full service. Look at the list. It's not just a valve check. Consider the fact that a Duc dealer will charge you approx $250 for an oil change which you can do yourself for under $100. You can also do everything else, except for the actual valve adjust, unless you're more tech savvy. I paid 3 hours labour for mine...shop rate $110/h CND.

Ask your dealer what parts of the DESMO you need to have done under warranty...or...better yet...wait out the 6 months before doing the DESMO and then have it done wherever you want, minus most things which you can do yourself, and save yourself a few hundred bucks. the full DESMO list is 6-7 hours...so it wouldn't be a $1000 but around $800.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Correction on the above reply. My valves were in spec, the mechanic got my bike confused with another Ducati when he spoke to me. Even my report says (all within spec), which is why I found it confusing when he personally told me otherwise.

Anyway, not to worry, just consider my above suggestions prior to your purchase. It really is quite easy to do most of your own maintenance, and you'll bond with the bike. (enjoy)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 AM

food luck for that.....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 AM

sorry good luck for that....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version