post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Scrambler DIY Guru

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking to the ECU

I've been reading and trying to piece together all of the information we'll need in order to hook our bikes up to our own computers with the ultimate (in the future) goals of:

-resetting the service indicator
-adjusting the fuel trim value
-downloading and uploading ECU maps

So far this is where I'm at with my research:

The Scrambler uses a Siemens M3C type ECU which is not the same as the ones used in older Ducatis, and therefore it requires different software than the classic DucatiDiag or the newer JPDiag.

1) One compatible software application is offered by JP and is called MC38.

At the moment you can download it here:
http://jpdiag.akress.com/download.php?file=M3C8

2) You need some sort of generic OBDII cable that hooks to your computer (or possibly a bluetooth version that can also be used with your cell phone and associate apps.)

3) You need an adapter that goes from 16 pin OBDII to _____ which connects to the ducati via its OBD port (this part is a mystery to me at the moment, read below.)

4) Once you have successfully hooked your bike up to your computer and the software makes the hand shake, you need to download your ECU data using M3C8 and send this information to JP so he can send you a -free- license file.

5) After that point, you should now be able to re-start the application and see information about your bike's ECU (and hopefully test/reset a few things.)

At the moment, from what I've read, there is no ability to download and upload ECU maps.

This brings me to my question for you guys who already have your bikes... What does the OBD connector look like. Can any of you photograph it? I believe I have bought the wrong adapter cable and would like to know if, indeed, this is the cable I need to purchase. I have in my possession a Fiat style, 3 pin connector with two loose wires with alligator clips on them. I won't post a photo of it yet because I'd like to avoid confusion if it's not correct. I read on another forum that the bike may use a 4 pin connector of a different design.

So if any of you can locate, uncap, and photograph the OBD plug, I'd greatly appreciate it. My goal once my bike is here and once I have the tools to hook my computer up to it is to make a video tutorial and post it online to help everyone else.

JWA and netrunner like this.

Last edited by silverluxe; 04-23-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Hey,
you are right,map read/write of Conti/Siemens M3C is not possible at the moment.
Furthermore for complete service you need the "Seed-key", which is only available with a "Brute-Force-Attack" to the M3C at the moment.
This method can last up to 7 days,you need a garage with power for your Laptop and the battery of the bike.

You need two cables:
---ELM:

V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 OBD CAN-BUS Auto Car USB Diagnostic Interface Code Scanner R2 | eBay

and:

Ducati 4 Pin Multistrada CAN Diagnostic Connector Adaptor (DDA) [LEDUCC16ADAP] - £14.99 : Lonelec, Fault Code Readers & ECU Diagnostic Equipment

Cheers

No,i am not a geek....(and no hipster,too)
netrunner likes this.

FIVE RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
2. Forgive your enemy but remember the bastards name.
3. Help someone when they are in trouble and they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
4. Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.
5. Alcohol does not solve any problems but then again, neither does milk.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Scrambler DIY Guru

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm only partially a geek, so I'm just trying to understand this all.

Once the guessing game has completed and you know the seed-key combination it's a one-time thing right? It's just a matter of trying every combination until it's known, correct?

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverluxe View Post
I'm only partially a geek, so I'm just trying to understand this all.

Once the guessing game has completed and you know the seed-key combination it's a one-time thing right? It's just a matter of trying every combination until it's known, correct?
Yes,correct.M3C8 has a seed-scanner,after running,it writes the key to a ini file.
Its a one-time-thing.But every ecu has a unique key,the algorythm of the key is unknown at the moment.
silverluxe likes this.

FIVE RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
2. Forgive your enemy but remember the bastards name.
3. Help someone when they are in trouble and they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
4. Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.
5. Alcohol does not solve any problems but then again, neither does milk.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:30 PM
oli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here are some photos. Hope it helps!

If you need it, I could also take a picture of the wiring chart (it's part of the manual)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	4969
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	4346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg
Views:	2003
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	4354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	4291
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	4362  
silverluxe likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Scrambler DIY Guru

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The wiring diagram won't help here, but please upload a photo or a scan of it. It will come in handy for other reasons. Thanks for the photos!

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ECU Remapping

Has anyone had a look at the Rexxer module?
They claim to be able to access and remap the M3C ECU. If that is correct, I guess the issues with to lean fuel at constant speeds.
:: RexXer ECU-Tuning ::

Regards
Frank

Last edited by Fwgde; 04-25-2015 at 03:44 AM.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Rexxer re-flash

I've already been in touch with Rexxer and they advised me they will have a map and we will be able to get our ECU reflashed in about 3 weeks.
My Monster 1100 suffered from lean running, popping out of the Termis on deceleration and some hard starting. The Rexxer cost me $400, removed the oxygen sensors, removed thee xhaust flapper valve and stopped the popping/backfiring. It ran as smooth as, no hunting/surging and started a lot easier. As soon as one is available I will have it done to my Scrambler which does have some surging/hunting especially when trying to stick to one of our F..... stupid 50 Klm/hr speed limits.
Let The Good Times Roll - Ray
p.s. - I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.
silverluxe likes this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've already started messing with flashing the ECU on these.
  • resetting the service indicator
    • I decoded the CAN protocol a few hours ago.
    • Successfully read/cleared DTC errors on an Icon.
    • No service light (yet). Not because it isn't possible or I don't know how... but I'd be impressed if someone managed to put on 600 miles in 2 days.
  • adjusting the fuel trim value
    • Scrambler uses closed loop with 2 lambas. "Fuel trim" is only for open loop. Not an option here.
  • downloading and uploading ECU maps
    • "1CABBAG1"
silverluxe likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post
If you need it, I could also take a picture of the wiring chart (it's part of the manual)
Yes, a high-res scan would help, at least until they upload the PDF manual.

When I was looking over the diagram in-person I noticed it mentioned a Bluetooth connection. Also the USB connector is for charging only.... no data lines. But it shares power with some sensors. (I think.) If that's true, I would be too scared to use it! I'd probably want to trace it again to be sure.

Quote:
You need an adapter that goes from 16 pin OBDII to _____ which connects to the ducati via its OBD port (this part is a mystery to me at the moment, read below.)
That's a Delphi SICMA sealed 4-way connector... common to Multis, Pannis, Monster EVOs, etc. It accesses the 500kbps 11-bit CANbus on the bike. Sadly, the protocol is completely proprietary. Some very smart people are working on reverse engineering it right now. You can't hack it, you don't own it.

http://catalog.delphi.com/connectors.../211PL042S0011

Last edited by Impulsive_Duc; 05-02-2015 at 02:24 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page