Horn - Fit? PIAA Sports Horn Install - Page 2 - Ducati Scrambler Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I've fitted the Denali two piece horn and it fits well. although in a different location. It is far louder than the PIAA. I'll grab some video/picts.

Last edited by TransNone13; 05-12-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Attach to orig bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiyo View Post
I'm looking at the second pic - where are you fastening the horn's metal attachment piece to the bike? Are you connecting the horn to that silver metal part that secures the stock horn?
---> Attach the horn to the original mount on the bike.

---
2015 Scrambler Icon - Yellow
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quick update -

I finally got this horn installed. I ended up having to bend the silver metal mounting post over on itself so the PIAA horn could properly connect to the bike. I will be adding some heat resistant tape to the plastic parts of the horn since it sits dangerously close to hot metal bike parts.

As for the sound - it has a nice tone is is definitely louder than stock.

However, I did notice a slight delay from the time you press in the button until you hear the new horn noise. It's almost as if there's a slight build up to the horn's full loudness. I don't feel like this was the case with the stock horn. Anyone else experience this?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiyo View Post
...However, I did notice a slight delay from the time you press in the button until you hear the new horn noise. It's almost as if there's a slight build up to the horn's full loudness. I don't feel like this was the case with the stock horn. Anyone else experience this?
Sounds like the horn draws a lot of current. A relay providing power direct from the battery (via an appropriate fuse) would give you an instant audible response.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 PM

According to the Scrambler service manual, the stock battery is 12 volts, 1.2 Amps. The PIAA slim line sports horn requires 2.7 amps, according to the PIAA product page. Does anyone know if this means I need a battery upgrade with more amps (AH)?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM
PSI

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The workshop manual states the stock battery to be 12V, 10Ah. That means the battery theoretically could deliver 10A at 12V for 1 hour [when fully charged].
But for a shorter time it can deliver much more current. For example, the electric starter motor is 12 V, 0.7 kW. That is a current of 58 amperes! Mind you, the starter motor current is only that high when you push the starter button and the engine is not yet rotating; once the engine starts to rotate, the starter motor current will drop rapidly.
So the current for the PIAA horn is not the problem; it's the internal resistance of the wiring to the horn and the current rating of the horn button on your handlebar. BTW, also a horn has a pretty high in-rush current.
That's why Derek is very right in advising a relay.

Regards,
Paul

Alleen een motorrijder begrijpt waarom een hond zijn kop uit een rijdende auto steekt...
Only a motorcyclist understands why a dog sticks his head out of a moving car...
Quote by Joost Overzee
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM

Derek, PSI,

Thanks for helping to explain this to me. Right now I'm still using the stock horn - as soon as I'm confident that the hot metal near the horn bracket won't melt the plastic PIAA horn I'll give it another shot with a relay.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page