27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Low RPM stuttering/"unsmoothness"

So after doing more than 700 miles and completed first service, I still have one major issue with my Icon (stock), which is very jerky/"unsmooth" engine response between 2000-3500 rpm (Worse towards the lower end), particularly in first and second gear. It makes commuting in cities rather unpleasant and forces me to run at it higher rpm and hence higher fuel consumption than necessary for a v-twin.

In order to describe what I mean, try running your bike at a constant speed in first or second gear between 2000-3500 rpm. The bike will stutter and feel like it's not being fueled properly despite constant throttle. It's a torque heavy bike, but will feel like a coughing dog below certain rpms. The effect is slightly minimized after engine has had enough time to warm up, but is still there after long rides as well.

Could those who have similar issues please post here as it would be interesting to know.
Could you also let us know how many miles you have done, and how long you have noticed this. Finally, let us know if this troubles you or not.
PeteI likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
So after doing more than 700 miles and completed first service, I still have one major issue with my Icon (stock), which is very jerky/"unsmooth" engine response between 2000-3500 rpm (Worse towards the lower end), particularly in first and second gear. It makes commuting in cities rather unpleasant and forces me to run at it higher rpm and hence higher fuel consumption than necessary for a v-twin.

In order to describe what I mean, try running your bike at a constant speed in first or second gear between 2000-3500 rpm. The bike will stutter and feel like it's not being fueled properly despite constant throttle. It's a torque heavy bike, but will feel like a coughing dog below certain rpms. The effect is slightly minimized after engine has had enough time to warm up, but is still there after long rides as well.

Could those who have similar issues please post here as it would be interesting to know.
Could you also let us know how many miles you have done, and how long you have noticed this. Finally, let us know if this troubles you or not.
great questions. anxious to hear what riders are saying. I am used to the utter smoothness of triumph having had 4 in the near past. I hope I am not let down.

Pete
San Diego, California
Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
It's a Ducati engine guys.

3000rpm is the bottom (2500 on low gears)
And seriously, under 2000rpm there is nothing else than hurting the engine.

From my past on a Monster 1100 if find the Scrambler sooo smooth on the low end

(once the engine warm and the first service done you'll never find me under 4000rpm)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on instagram and facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So an engine that runs between roughly 1700 (guessing idle) - 8500 only has an effective range of 3500-8000 in your opinion. I've never had a Ducati before but have had plenty of engines with idle around 1300 and redline past 11000 and v-twins that have been smooth as silk from 1500 upwards, and happy to pull as well.
In fact, you could happily let the clutch out and it would pull you away in first rather well (though I wouldn't do so more than to prove a point).

what I'm trying to understand is if their is a fault here, or if this is a general characteristic and what the real usable range is (as the manual will not say so)

However, in 3rd gear the bike will tick over quite nicely around 2300+ without any real jerkyness. This can not be said for 1st or 2nd gear.
PeteI likes this.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Idle should be around 1250rpm.

And yes, it's typical of a 2 valves Ducati engine.
And i wouldn't say this one is good, but the others are worst
It as something to do with the 11° admission/exhaust crossing, wich is a small value for a Ducati engine (ie better low end but less on top)

Follow me on instagram and facebook

Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I'd be interested in hearing from those with aftermarket exhaust, and the associated ECU flash. Any difference?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I'd be interested in hearing from those with aftermarket exhaust, and the associated ECU flash. Any difference?

Mines smooth as. I've not had any throttle problems or fuelling issues but, and although this wouldn't solve Mitra's problem, you do have to be smooth with the throttle which is a 1/6 turn throttle and hence very quick from nothing to flat chat.

Jerry
PeteI likes this.

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Last edited by Jerry Winder; 04-10-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Low end snatchiness is mainly due to an overlean mixture because of the emissions regulations. Some bikes seem to be more prone to it than others. Many 1200 Multistrada owners complain of the same problem. My own one is OK, possibly because it has a full Termi system and ECU.
I haven't yet got my Classic so I don't know how it will be at slow speeds but I've ordered a Termi for it so it probably won't be an issue any way.
Many owners are having success in curing the low speed poor running by fitting Fat Ducs
They fool the ECU into running a richer mixture and are adjustable for best results.
Asador and PeteI like this.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Cancel that last bit. I just checked the Fat Duc compatibility list. They are not compatible with the Monster 796, nor any of the models that use the Seimens ECU, so won't work for the Scrambler
PeteI likes this.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Leo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I go to work with my Icon and believe it or not, in my city, I can only make it around 40km/h. Sometimes in slow traffic, but sometimes I can make it 60km/h. However, I still think that the engine is smooth at whatever speed I make. The only problem with the low speed for me is the heat.
Hedonism and PeteI like this.

User Tag List