Front rotor warping? - Page 2 - Ducati Scrambler Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some additional information:
Here is a link for USA owners to file a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Safety Administration) https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ If enough complaints are filed it may spur Ducati to do a voluntary recall rather than be forced to do so.

Additionally, post this thread to your Facebook or other social media pages and tweet about it if you use twitter etc. The more public the information is the more likely Ducati will take more action that a telephone call to see if they can make us like them more. If enough bad press gets out and sales volume starts to drop maybe Ducati will take notice. I also agree that if there is no manufacturer resolution of the defect (other than to telephone me and essentially tell me to not rock the boat) then I will source an aftermarket rotor (and not from any company associated with Ducati).

As of now my next bike will NOT be a Ducati. Unfortunate indeed as I had planned on adding a Multi to the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Regarding some of the suggestions (thank you for your thoughts on this) made:
The "buttons" are not "jammed". One of the first things I checked, along with the caliper functioning. My Honda GL1800 (960 lbs - closer to 1,300 fully loaded) has floating rotors as well and with far more miles on the bike there have never been any issues either with the floating of the rotor or warping. I ride the GL more like a sporting bike (have dragged a peg or two) so the rotors are not subject to "light duty". The Scrambler is used on road (paved) only (just as with my Honda GL 1800) so dirt should not be an issue and was confirmed with my initial checking of the calipers. As a hobby I restore old motorcycles, going down to the frame and rebuilding so my mechanical experience and knowledge are well beyond "shade tree" level.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Update: I had my front rotor replaced under warranty yesterday. After hearing nothing from Ducati Australia for over a month after twice trying to contacting them via their website, my husband posted several times on their facebook pages. 24 hours later, they decided to make an exception and repair it under warranty as we are new Ducati Scrambler customers (aren't we all?).

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Squeaky wheel gets the grease! Good for you. Now up to Ducati to fix the crappy rotors they sold to all of us. Never had any such issues with any of my Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha bikes.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hinckley Triumphs did....
Where's takeiteasy?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Thought maybe I noticed it last ride, yesterday left no doubt. Think the bike's kicked over 3400 miles or so. Where'd I read Ducati used cheap steel for these bikes? If that's so, I definitely don't want a direct replacement.

Sarah

2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sarah, over the weekend I had my dealer ride and inspect my front rotor. They confirmed it is out by 2 thousandths and have recommended replacement. I emailed Ducati customer service on Saturday and will be calling Ducati North America once they are open. I'll post the results. BTW, only 3,600 miles on it when inspected.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Thank you for the update, Tom. I believe there's been a report of an owner's second rotor warping, so I'm not so sure I want a factory replacement. Please keep us posted.

Sarah

2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: After leaving multiple messages at DNA Customer "Service" telephone # 408-253-0499 (actually the DNA general number with hard to understand messaging) I have yet to receive a return call from the gods at DNA. I say gods because they must believe that is their status or they would at least have the courtesy to contact me so I could "feel better".

My dealer has been absolutely great through all this, doing everything they can within the limitations they face.

It is DUCATI NORTH AMERICA that doesn't seem interested if I remain a Ducati customer or not. I simply do not understand no response. At least they could have the courtesy to contact me to tell me to go scratch. Although I suppose ignoring people does eliminate customer calls (AND CUSTOMERS) as most people will eventually give up. If San Jose California wasn't so far away I'd pay them a visit, but then again probably no one would answer the door! Not any one's idea of customer service I'm pretty sure. I'm also patiently awaiting the telephone call from Fabiana in Italy (I also filed a customer service complaint via the Ducati web site) since at least she had the chutzpah to telephone me, even if her call was a complete waste of my time. I am going to telephone DNA every hour and leave a message with the hope that they eventually get tired enough of my calls to call me just so I'll stop. Squeaky wheel gets the grease so they say.

It's nice out today so I think I'll take a break and ride my 87 Honda VFR400R before heading off to meet a client at Court this evening. Hmmmmm, 30 year old brake rotors and no warping there. How on earth can that be possible???????
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
FURTHER UPDATE: I am sharing the email communication thread with DNA Customer Service since we have reached that stage. I'll be waiting to see what next arrives from DNA. Interesting to note that they make no mention of the telephone conversation lasting over 11 minutes that I had with them. The email received would appear to be the first reply to a customer service contact! No?

[email protected] <[email protected]>Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 12:07 PMTo: [email protected]
Dear Mr. Nicotera,

Thank you for contacting Ducati in regards to your brake concerns. Though we do not approve or deny warranty claims here in Customer Service, nor do we provide technical support, we would like to gather more information regarding your case. When an item such brake rotors are not covered under warranty it is reviewed on a case by case basis.
If you could attach your repair order with the dealer notes it would be helpful in escalating your request.

Best Regard,
Ryan

Ducati North America

The information contained in this message and/or in its possible attachments are strictly confidential and for the intended recipient only. If misdirected, please send it immediately back to the sender and delete it without retaining a copy. Thank you.

Tom Nicotera <[email protected]>Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:48 AMTo: [email protected]
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Attached is the repair order copy received by me on April 16, 2016 after traveling 125 miles to reach my Ducati dealer (and a concomitant 125 mile trip home afterward). They verified the inappropriate run out of the rotor and indicated to me that they were recommending replacement. I was also informed that there are NO Ducati supplied specs for run out on Scrambler rotors, contrary to your statement to me on April 21, 2016 that there exists a 5 thousandths spec for run out on the Scrambler. (A ludicrous assertion as such a run out would cause extreme pulsing in the motorcycle front braking system.)

This warping condition became quite noticeable at approximately 2,750 miles and in less than 6 months time since the Scrambler was purchased as a new vehicle on April 30, 2015.

As I indicated in our telephone conversation of April 21, 2016 this is not an isolated incident but rather Scrambler owners world wide are experiencing the same defect. This can be verified by a review of the many postings contained in the several Scrambler forums across the internet, some of which indicate that Ducati is replacing these warped rotor under a warranty for owners in the UK. I expect that Ducati would treat owners here in the USA no less well than those located in the UK and other parts of the world.

Accordingly I expect a replacement rotor from Ducati at the earliest possible date.

Your prompt reply is expected.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page