LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Lock - possible damage

Hey Everyone,

So, I noticed the other day that when my bars are turned to the left and I have the steering lock enganged that I can still move the bars back to center to an almost straight position. I would say that the front tire ends up being about 5 to 10 degrees of center when I move it in this situation. Is this normal? I am suspecting that it is damage from either someone trying to steal/mess with it, or have read where the lock can get bent or damaged over time. I, honestly, have never thought to check before since any bike I have owned pretty much locks tight when locked, and once locked, i don't mess with it...so, though I lean towards damage, I wanted to ask first.

Also, there has been zero signs of tampering which it puzzling. bar end mirrors have not been moved or damaged (was thinking if someone was forcing it, the left side mirror would have been out of position or moved/loosened if they hit it in an attempt to break the lock). No signs of being knocked over. etc. etc

When I lock it with the bars turned to the right, there is next to no play, which increased my suspicions.

thanks in advance for any insights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't encountered any problems with mine, have you taken it to a dealership to get it checked out?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiatus View Post
I haven't encountered any problems with mine, have you taken it to a dealership to get it checked out?
Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, since I haven't been riding much due to a new car and bad weather.
I did find, however, that I think the lock pin fell out. Found what looks like it would be the pin on my doorstep. Coming up on a service, so am going to have it checked out then.

Will update once I get it checked out

Last edited by Sirskankin; 06-03-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot info

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 11:14 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Many people have had issues with their steering lock. They are especially fragile, and when bringing to the dealer for warranty repair have been told that someone had tried to steal the bike and it was not covered under warranty.

Just some information for you when going to your dealer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdminBot47 View Post
Many people have had issues with their steering lock. They are especially fragile, and when bringing to the dealer for warranty repair have been told that someone had tried to steal the bike and it was not covered under warranty.

Just some information for you when going to your dealer.
Ah, thank you for the heads up. I was figuring that would be the case...When I take it in, will take the pin with me and see what they say, but will definitely expect the "attempted theft" excuse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page