LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Italia Independent Cosmetic Issues

Hello Scrambler world!

Those that have an Italia Independent I'm sure have noticed the cosmetic issues from having them manufactured in Malaysia. There are a few I'd like your advice on how to resolve, specifically the crooked license plate light and residue rubber (dried adhesive?) on the seams. (Another is how the throttle and brake lines ruin the otherwise clean vantage point of the road, but I think forcing that behind the windshield is risks performance problems.) I took it into a shop that helped me remove the terribly-placed compliance labels, but they weren't sure how to fix the issues I listed above.

Any similar problems, if so how do you fix them?

Thank you!
Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your Italia.. I must say, mine came flawless with no problems what-so-ever.
I read somewhere that the Italia was assembled it Italy but cannot verify if it is true..
The cables do loop high but it seems to work with the whole small faring look.
I ditched to whole license plate gig with a tidy tall kit... worth considering...
Good luck, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duck3.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	37418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	37426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	37434  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My dealer in Dallas told me all of Italia's were built in Italy. He is also the largest Ducati only dealer in the US.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I took my bike to Desmoto in San Francisco and they said the engine number prefix indicated it was manufactured in Malaysia, and that Ducati did this to account for the small margins on a small 1077 lot. Regardless of where it was made, I wonder where their quality/manufacturing engineer was when the factory was defining the assembly stations and cosmetic standards. If it was in Italy, then I'd be even more concerned since that's their home base.

Sure, attention to detail during design can still result in a bike that some people love and some people dislike, it's all personal taste (i.e. the other post re: the silver gas cap). However, quality in manufacturing and assembly is universal. Where this bike was made isn't the point of my post. I am wondering how other Italia Independent owners fix these cosmetic issues or if you have suggestions on how I can without making it worse.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've noticed that my Italia Independant has a slightly crooked license plate holder too, but honestly I don't think many people beyond the owner of the bike would ever notice. I'm Sslightly disappointed it's not perfect, but I've spend far more on vehicles and for something that was less than perfect - is anything ever flawless? Not saying that's not what we should shoot for, or dismissing your desire for it to be done right, just being pragmatic based on my personal experience.

The other issues you mention I don't think should really be of concern. Those compliance stickers are just slapped on there because they have to be there and are easily taken off (and almost always are taken off) by the owner, as is the residual glue. Mine came off easily with a heat gun. The stickers can always be saved if they need to be produced in the case of resale or registration.

The cables are a design decision, not a quality control issue. It would be cleaner looking with them tucked away, but they're not. No one messed that up in manufacturing.

So I guess I'm trying to respectively say I understand your scrutiny but also suggesting you step back, enjoy the beauty of the bike you bought, and not let the slightly less than ideal aspects bug you too much. It's an awesome bike . I hope my tone is coming across the way I intend.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
But isn't the owner the intended viewer, not everyone else? It's user experience, our daily interaction with this machine that takes us on our commutes and adventures.

The compliance stickers were a breeze to take off and I have them set aside if they ever need to be referenced. But I used to work in compliance, and though those labels are necessary, they don't necessarily need to be placed on the gorgeous Night Copper frame.

No the cables aren't a manufacturing/quality problem. Just personal preference in design.

And no, I don't take offense to your opinion. I love this bike. I even sold my beloved Monster because I love this one that much more. I put 1000 miles in the first 2 days of owning it, and I smile every time I hop on.

But yes, there can be improvements and I am asking the people on this forum if you have any suggestions on how to fix these issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3037.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	37801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	37809  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version