LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Scrambler Interest- How Old Are You?

This bike is being pushed in many ways. It's a new riders option, a Hipster bike, a bike replicating the underground "tracker" style. It seems to be marketed to a demographic of younger riders to get them on this bike.

What is interesting to me is that I want this bike and I'm 52 years old. That's far from the marketing campaigns target. My friend asked me why I wanted this bike. Sort of asked, "What's the big deal?" My reply was the ol' "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"...

That got me thinking. Why do I want this bike? I have a number of fine machines. What triggers the lust for this bike? And why is this young persons bike hitting my bulls-eye?

I think it is because I look forward to a bike that replicates my old 79 Bonni. The simple pleasure of an engine with character bolted to a lightweight package. No bells and whistles. And no clip-ons either. Yes there is the FZ-07,09 that are awesome bikes and I was looking at them as well. But this bikes tracker style hits a big bulls eye for me. Right down to the blacked out mag wheels. I hope it wheelies like a flat tracker. If it does I will be a happy camper.

How old are you. What is it about this bike that grabs you and pulls you in?
Firebird, pacman, ninon and 6 others like this.

Current Bikes
2000 Ducati 996S - Track days are the fountain of youth
2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - Born the same year as me according to the gas cap
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F - BRAP woods bike
2014 HD Breakout - putt putt
2014 Honda GROM - Pit bike mayhem
2015 HD Road Glide - couch with boom box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I can follow pretty well what you are saying.
I like puristic bikes without bells and whistles!

In FEB 2015 I will be 51.
Scepisle likes this.

Best Regards from Germany
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 58, and been riding for 43 years. I had all my nickels and pennies saved up for a Monster 796, and was waiting for my dealer to receive a black one, when I wrecked my R1200GS in June. While in the hospital I heard that this Scrambler was to finally become a reality. Since I was going to modify the Monster anyway, and the Scrambler ergos are more friendly to my newly reconstructed knee, it was an easy choice to make.
I might take it to my suspension shop anyway, but I'm going to ride it first before I decide.
I'm wondering if I can get a lowering kit for the pegs, or have to make my own?

The marketing campaign is a bit of a turn-off for me
Enduro and Scepisle like this.

post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
51 at the moment.

I started riding in Trials events (in the UK) at 13 and then on the road at 16. There have only been a few years that I've not owned a bike of some description.

I intend to keep riding until I drop!

Cheers,

FatRob

Number of bikes I need is n+1, where n is the number of bikes i currently have.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I'm 38. The Scrambler Icon I ordered will not be my first bike, and like JustKip I was considering a Monster before discovering the Scrambler. While I do have a beard (I've had it for 8+ years) and wear flannel (hey, I live in Minnesota), I don't wear skinny jeans and I'm not a hipster. I'm probably not far off their demographic though.

Stepping on my soapbox... I also have far less of a problem with people that might be labeled as hipsters as I do with the term and the people doing the labeling. I'm not sure why some people have so much hate and anger toward the demographic. I didn't even realize it was as bad as it is until the whole Scrambler whirlwind and the backlash to it that I see so thick in the comments on every single article. People need to lighten up and not worry so much about what other people wear, what music they listen to, and how they like to go about their life. Stepping down off my soapbox...

What pulled me in on this bike is what I see as the simplicity and casualness of it. I had Triumph before, but wanted something more sporty this time around (and specifically wanted a Ducati). I was pretty much all in on a used Monster, with my only hesitation being that it was just a tad more sporty than I had in mind. I was just waiting for early next year to start the real hunt for the perfect yellow one.

The funny thing is, since I don't really follow motorcycles much, I didn't even know the Scrambler existed until an article popped up on Jalopnik on December 11th. It only took me until December 18th (the day before my birthday) to go in and put down a non-refundable deposit on one. Maybe I'm a little impulsive, but I knew immediately it was the bike I wanted.

Now I have several months of Minnesota winter to endure while I obsess about it.
pacman, Madaza, JustKip and 7 others like this.
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post

Stepping on my soapbox... I also have far less of a problem with people that might be labeled as hipsters as I do with the term and the people doing the labeling. I'm not sure why some people have so much hate and anger toward the demographic. I didn't even realize it was as bad as it is until the whole Scrambler whirlwind and the backlash to it that I see so thick in the comments on every single article. People need to lighten up and not worry so much about what other people wear, what music they listen to, and how they like to go about their life. Stepping down off my soapbox...
BRAVO!!!
I'm a former 1%er and wouldn't hesitate to ride with my hipster co-worker in his neatly trimmed beard and skinny jeans (whatever that is), even if he bought the plaid tank panels (for the Scrambler he can't afford)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I was pretty much all in on a used Monster, with my only hesitation being that it was just a tad more sporty than I had in mind.
I'm actually considering switching the cams for the 87HP Monster cams, and adding the Akra exhaust, for better performance
post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I'm 31 and I've been riding since I was 12. I appreciate every single type of bike and have owned everything from 80cc two stroke dirt bikes to 1500cc cruisers. My favorite bike so far has been the Monster (had 6 Monsters but the 796 is my fav) since it's fast, but not too fast, comfortable but not too relaxed, a Ducati but not over the top expensive, exclusive (relatively) yet accessible, easy to ride but still has a lot of character, and I find it very attractive and sounds amazing. The Scrambler is exactly all of those things but maybe even more exaggerated. I'm so over the general direction of sport motorcycles in the last 2 decades which are all about going to the extreme edge of performance where all the horsepower is up at the highest 10% of the rev range, and you feel like you don't deserve to ride it unless you're scuffing up the pucks on your leather suit every ride. To me, that's only fun sometimes, so the Scrambler will be a bike that's fun 90% of the time and will fill the majority of riding desires I have while being simple, inexpensive, cool looking and still a Ducati
pacman, Madaza, R1GG5 and 2 others like this.

Rent a Ducati in Denver in the summer!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rent a Yukon Denali XL in Denver in the winter!
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
I am 52.
Scrambler will be the 10th Ducati i buy New.
I am a Ducati-Fan since i was a child, and have seen and heared
the 750ss oft my neighbour.
Cheers
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 42 and I'm going to buy the Urban Enduro since, thanks to the low seat, I will use it in soft off road tracks; the new scrambler will stay aside my road touring bike (bmw rt 1200 lc m.y.2014)

from Land of Joy!!!
Hedonism on Scrambler U.E.

post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I´m 52 and I ordered that classic one,because it let me remember the time when I started to drive motorbikes, easy to handle,good engine with power enough to enjoy every single ride

Hope I´m right

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page