Scrambler Interest- How Old Are You? - Page 2 - Ducati Scrambler Forum
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I'm 37. I've only ridden for 8 years or so-- a KLR650, before that, a KLX250--lots of on/off road riding.

The Scrambler is a motorcycle distilled down to its essence. That is, of all the production bikes out there, the scrambler best captures the spirit of motorcycle riding. It has all the usable power you need to have a blast riding, unless your riding requires a track or a singletrack. And for some reason, I absolutely love the horrid green/brown color combo of the U Enduro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll be 77 when I take delivery of my Full Throttle. My present bike is a Yamaha MT-01, which is a great bike apart from being extremely top heavy. I've mulled over a Monster 1100evo for some time but was unsure on the riding position. When I saw the Scrambler at the NEC, I knew it was the bike for me. It takes me back to the Gold Flash and Road Rocket I had, before I switched to cars a long time ago. With the flat track style, this is a real looker, which clinched the deal. It won't have the outright acceleration of the MT, but as I can only use that a fraction of the time, I'm hoping a test ride will prove good enough to satisfy my needs.
Hedonism, ducatirdr, Feli and 4 others like this.
post #13 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm 68. I've been riding for 52 years and have owned 50 bikes including 3 Ducatis. I'm selling my Triumph Scrambler to get the Ducati Scrambler. My other bike is a BMW R1200GS.

Ironically, I've come full circle in 52 years. In 1962, when the Ducati Scrambler was introduced I learned to ride on my friend's Ducati and his Dad's BMW. So come this Spring when I take delivery of my Scrambler, it'll be like starting all over again.

Ain't life grand ?

post #14 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Not one of the hipster generation I'll be 65 on Monday

I've been riding for 49 years and I've ordered a Classic.
Scepisle likes this.
post #15 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I'm 35 and have been riding Harley's for the last 5 years or so... Got tempted by the Diavel when it first launched but then I realized I'd probably get in trouble as its a bit too quick for road use!
Sold my last bike in May since I wasn't using it much after becoming a dad last year, and even though we have another baby on the way my awesome wife surprised me by ordering me an Urbam Enduro for Xmas! I guess I must have spolen about it a fair bit and she just wanted me to change the topic!!!
rankxerox and PhilB like this.
post #16 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feli View Post
I'm 35 and have been riding Harley's for the last 5 years or so... Got tempted by the Diavel when it first launched but then I realized I'd probably get in trouble as its a bit too quick for road use!
Sold my last bike in May since I wasn't using it much after becoming a dad last year, and even though we have another baby on the way my awesome wife surprised me by ordering me an Urbam Enduro for Xmas! I guess I must have spoken about it a fair bit and she just wanted me to change the topic!!!
Wow! She's a keeper! Not many women in the world who would buy their husbands a bike. Never mind one with a baby on the way.

Best of luck with the bike and the new baby on the way.
rankxerox, Feli, gopam and 2 others like this.

Current Bikes
2000 Ducati 996S - Track days are the fountain of youth
2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - Born the same year as me according to the gas cap
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F - BRAP woods bike
2014 HD Breakout - putt putt
2014 Honda GROM - Pit bike mayhem
2015 HD Road Glide - couch with boom box
post #17 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

A lifetime of riding GSXRs and two stroke Yamaha's.

The dealer I ordered from said the age range of customers who had left deposits with him, were 50 - 60 years old.

The best things in life aren't free
post #18 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This will be my 5th bike and 1st Ducati. Been close to 14 years since my last one. Both kids are off to college and I am certainly overdue. Can't wait for spring!
janie likes this.
post #19 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 PM
JWA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I'm 37. I've been riding since I started with dirt bikes at 7. I've always had a variety of motocross and woods bikes. Interestingly, all of my street bikes have been designed by Tamburini, beginning with a 748 in '98 and including a couple 916s, a couple MV Agusta F4s, and two Cagiva Mitos. My dad has always had a variety of bikes that I also ride, mostly Triumphs, a couple Harleys, a Monster, etc.

The skinny jeans crowd is younger than I am and never understood it. I'm not sure what generation are doing the new "lumbersexual" thing. The whole "land of joy" hipster marketing campaign turns me off. I didn't think that that crowd would be into bikes, actually. However, it's no a big deal and I tend to agree with a comment I read somewhere that all of motorcycling outside of 3rd world countries is a lifestyle thing of one sort or another. What's worse, Ducati marketing towards hipsters or Ducati marketing towards squids?

I ordered an Icon in red because it looks like a fun simple and elemental bike to use around town. It also kind of reminds me of the Yamaha DT250 enduro that my dad had when I was born. Whatever the marketing, the bike looks like it should be fun.
chilira likes this.
post #20 of 191 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I work with a few in the target demo and to say they are nonpulsed is an understatement. Granted they may not be in motorbike people, but regardless its a question of money, and the money would rather be spent on reds and dinner

Does this thread look like the marketing is working?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page