Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Remus Hexacone Exhaust & Rexxer Tuning

18K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  tonyjuliano 
#1 ·
Finally!

After months of waiting, it's time to ditch the stock exhaust and do some tuning.

I had originally opted for, and ordered, a Spark EVO V slip-on, but after waiting for almost 10 weeks, with no delivery on the horizon, I made a decision to go with a Remus Hexacone Titanium.

Also picked up a Rexxer unit for tuning and reprogramming the stock ECU. Spent most of the day at the dyno, getting things somewhat dialed in, and I'm happy to report that it is relatively easy to get some decent power gains out of this motor.

I haven't touched the intake side yet, and the Remus still has the DB Killer installed, but I was able to get an additional 3HP and 2.5FT/LBS of torque, over stock. Not bad at all, should be easy to coax another couple of HP out of her, given more time and effort.

The stock exhaust and catalytic converter are VERY heavy, mine weighed in at almost 14 LBS (with all the fittings and hardware). The Remus Hex Titanium weighs is at just a hair over 3 LBS, so the weight loss was also pretty significant.

The Remus sounds great, nice full tone without being obnoxious - very pleased. Here are some lousy pics, please excuse the cell phone shots - it's been a very long (but rewarding) day...

More to come, as things progress...

See less See more
Reactions: mtb2104
#2 ·
Looks very good. I had the opportunity to see the Remus at our local dealer and I loved the look and it has a fantastic sound. Just had to invest some money to my cars, bit for the 2016 season I'll get a Remus too...

#5 ·
Graphs and vids shortly, too busy tuning at the moment to stop.

My impression is that the Remus is a quality product, and there is plenty more - powerwise - to get out of the Scrambler as I continue with changes.

The sound is also great - nice rumble. It's a bit too loud for me with the DB Killer out, so that will be "track only" for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·

The Remus Titanium Hexacone cost me a little over $700.

There is a stainless version for 580 something, and carbon fiber costs around $650.

It's a bit loud for me without the DB Killer - not totally obnoxious - but pretty loud. The sound with the DB Killer in place is fine for me, nice deep tone and rumble and plenty of volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
No... There is the slip on , plus the mid pipe and hanger bracket (plus hardwRe).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
No. Not required in the U.S.

That cat goes pretty much in the same place as the stock cat. Attached to the mid pipe between the slip on and stock headers.

#15 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let everybody know that we (REMUS USA) are a vendor on this forum. If you are interested in a REMUS Exhaust make sure to check us out in the vendor section under "MaxMoto" and/or PM me for special forum pricing. The REMUS Slip-On System for the Scrambler has easily become one of our top sellers. Hope to hear from you soon!

#19 ·
Removing the DB Killer is relatively easy. It's held in by both a hex-head screw located in plain sight at the rear of the can (that is accessible while installed), but also by a couple of small tack welds internally. You need to break these tack welds to remove it, and this has to be done while the can is not in place on the bike.

First, remove the hex-head screw form the back, then you take a length of broomstick (or similar) and insert it into the inlet end, then gently tap and the weld will break easily. After this you can remove / replace - while installed - by just removing the screw.

#20 ·
Okay, custom mapping and tuning are complete.

There is good news, and also bad news...

The good news is that with the Remus exhaust (sans DB Killer) and a BMC filter (race version), plus cutting a hole in the front of the airbox, followed by fueling adjustments - one can expect a whopping increase of almost 8 hp, plus 3.6 ft/lbs torque over stock.

The bad news is that at this point the stock clutch will not keep up, it slips badly at high speed.

I've reverted back to a much "milder" setup. The exhaust is way too loud, so the DB killer goes back in, plus I'm going with the "normal" BMC filter (still flows better than OEM), and this renders the hole in the air-box as unnecessary.

Much more "practical" setup, and it still gains about 6hp plus 3 ft/lbs torque over stock. The added bonus is that these power gains are all linear - occurring just about everywhere along the power curve.

Plus the bike runs SO much better (and cooler) now. I'm happy...

Reactions: silverluxe
#22 ·

New friction plates (the other plates should be fine) & stronger springs should do it. Not hard, nor expensive.

Bike was way too loud for me though. I'm totally happy where it stands now.

To be honest, I was happy with stock - I just look at stuff like this as a challenge.

Reactions: silverluxe
#23 ·
Now that you have the Rexxer you're able to get in and do all of the normal stuff a home mechanic can, such as resetting the service indicator and checking/clearing codes?

That's mostly what I'd want it for. I can live with my 75 horsepower. My most recent development is that I swear the rear shock is knocking around due to the continued wear of that bushing.

#24 ·
Yep, full control over all service functions and clearing service indicators. The rexxer is even worthwhile if you are running the stock setup (exhaust & intake) it clears up all the fueling issues - and gives a small HP bump.

I have no doubt that the stock shock bushing is continuing to deteriorate, mine looked like an egg when I did my shock swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.