• 1 Post By ssrealty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ducati Super Sport

I have been eagerly waiting the arrival of the Ducati 2017 Super Sport. I had a test ride this morning. I thought it was a fantastic motorcycle. It met all my expectations. I was ready to put a deposit on one. Then I got back on my 2016 Icon and realized that my Scrambler is more fun. The Super Sport is about 80 lb heaver than my Icon. My Icon is lighter than stock because I got rid of the catalytic muffler and license plate bracket. I really like the simplicity of the Scrambler. Although the Super Sport has about 40 more hp, I didn't feel that it was much more responsive in 6th gear at highway speeds. The Super Sport has a much better suspension.

A friend rode the Super Sport right after I did and noticed some mirror vibration. He also found the lower fairing too close to the shifter. He is more discerning because I hadn't notice either issue.
rterro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
The Supersport S was one of the bikes I wanted to upgrade to from the Scramber. I've seen it in the flesh at the BKK Motor Show but haven't had the chance to ride it. I did ride the Hyper 939 which has the same engine and just wasn't amazed by it. It wasn't terrible, it just didn't feel like it would be a big improvement from the Scrambler. It did have noticably more torque (no surprise). But it also suffered from lurching and yes the vibes were there. The throttle felt too disconnected in the lower riding modes. It was fine in sport or whatever the name was but then it's aggressive (no surprise).

The Supersport S in white looks fantastic. Comfy seat, good suspension, breaks etc. I am not a fan of the relatively aggressive riding position with the clip-ons. But the real showstopper was the announced price in Thailand of over $20k (700k THB). I just don't think that's a reasonable price for the engine that it has. I can get the new Fireblade for that amount and that bike is technically more advanced in every way. I can get the BMW S1000R for $1.5k less which again is a better bike.

qed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I test rode a white SuperSport S yesterday. It was awesome.

The SS is a total different bike than the Scrambler. Handle bars are much lower but not like the Ducati Panigale. I can't ride a Panigale- it is so uncomfortable to ride with the very low bars. My neck feels strained after riding just a few miles. You have to raise your head high (feels abnormal) to see ahead.

The SS is a nice compromise. It is a more aggressive sitting position but not uncomfortable. It is probably similar to my Monster. So, you could easily ride this bike 100 miles and not be exhausted. The seat was low enough for me to flat foot at a stop sign/light, and I could mount bike easily. I am 5'10", so I have a hard time mounting on some bikes.

I only rode the SS about 8-10 miles. The Quick Shift is really cool. You can shift up or down without depressing the clutch. It is much more powerful than the Scrambler. It was a demo bike with only a few miles, so I did not push it hard.

Currently, I ride my Monster 796 on track. This would be a nice upgrade bike. But the Scrambler is still a very easy bike to ride and lots of fun. The SS may be a little more intimidating and is probably a more of an intermediate bike for a rider with experience. You have to push it to really see how powerful it is. Like other Ducati's, it is not happy until you exceed 3000 RPM.
rterro likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrealty View Post
I test rode a white SuperSport S yesterday. It was awesome.

The SS is a total different bike than the Scrambler. Handle bars are much lower but not like the Ducati Panigale. I can't ride a Panigale- it is so uncomfortable to ride with the very low bars. My neck feels strained after riding just a few miles. You have to raise your head high (feels abnormal) to see ahead.

The SS is a nice compromise. It is a more aggressive sitting position but not uncomfortable. It is probably similar to my Monster. So, you could easily ride this bike 100 miles and not be exhausted. The seat was low enough for me to flat foot at a stop sign/light, and I could mount bike easily. I am 5'10", so I have a hard time mounting on some bikes.

I only rode the SS about 8-10 miles. The Quick Shift is really cool. You can shift up or down without depressing the clutch. It is much more powerful than the Scrambler. It was a demo bike with only a few miles, so I did not push it hard.

Currently, I ride my Monster 796 on track. This would be a nice upgrade bike. But the Scrambler is still a very easy bike to ride and lots of fun. The SS may be a little more intimidating and is probably a more of an intermediate bike for a rider with experience. You have to push it to really see how powerful it is. Like other Ducati's, it is not happy until you exceed 3000 RPM.
I agree with most everything you said. It was very easy to ride, and it was quite comfortable. I didn't find it intimidating at all. I thought it seemed docile. I didn't push it hard either because it had very low miles. I did find the propulsion was smoother at low speeds than my Scrambler. The suspension was considerably better than the Scrambler, and I wasn't riding the S with the Ohlins. I didn't get a feeling that the Super Sport was a lot more powerful than the Scrambler although I know it is.

The Super Sport did feel much heavier than the Scrambler. Although the handle bars are much lower than the Scrambler FT bars, I think I could really like them after getting used to them. The Icon bars on the Scrambler were too high for me. I might even like the lower Rizoma bars better than the FT bars that I retrofitted.

There is no question that the Super Sport is superior in every aspect, but I just didn't perceive it was going to be as fun.

Thanks for your perspective!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like the idea Ducati is making some street bikes now as they did some years ago, that are not about going as fast as possible in an aerodynamic crouched position. I agree with comments above about how much fun the Scrambler is. I own a 2001 SS and a 1992 907ie. Both of these other Ducatis are faster and quicker than the Scrambler but when I'm riding the Scrambler, the power is never an issue. The simplicity of the Scrambler is what I like. And although I anticipate buying a new Supersport, it will not replace the Scrambler. At roughly twice the price of my Icon, it is certainly not twice the motorcycle. The only reasonable solution is to own many Ducatis. At least that's what I have been telling my wife for 20 years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runacrm432na View Post
I like the idea Ducati is making some street bikes now as they did some years ago, that are not about going as fast as possible in an aerodynamic crouched position. I agree with comments above about how much fun the Scrambler is. I own a 2001 SS and a 1992 907ie. Both of these other Ducatis are faster and quicker than the Scrambler but when I'm riding the Scrambler, the power is never an issue. The simplicity of the Scrambler is what I like. And although I anticipate buying a new Supersport, it will not replace the Scrambler. At roughly twice the price of my Icon, it is certainly not twice the motorcycle. The only reasonable solution is to own many Ducatis. At least that's what I have been telling my wife for 20 years.
If I ever decide to own 2 motorcycles, I would keep the Scrambler and buy a new SuperSport. I just wouldn't trade the Scrambler for a SuperSport. I think I am too frugal to own 2 motorcycles concurrently.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I test rode a new Supersport at the weekend. I was very impressed, such that I'm going to sell my MTS1200 and buy a Supersport with the touring pack, but keep the Scrambler of course

2015 Scrambler Classic
2010 MTS1200
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The SS is the only Ducati I haven't ridden. From the Penigale to the Scrambler, I find myself enjoying the more simple raw Ducatis. I own M796, and now a Scrambler Icon. Simple! I just rode a M1200R, an amazing bike, but found playing with all the settings annoying, to a point where, it wasn't fun anymore. Jumped back on my 796, never looked back. I rather push a bike to its full potential, then to ride a track bike down the BLVD. The 803 air cooled motor is simple with that fun factor.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page