• 1 Post By Ed K

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 vs 2017 Scrambler

- Euro 3 vs Euro 4 (but is that only in Europe?)

- Handgrip throttle mechanism is different?

- Is the 2017 any smoother due Euro 4 engine mapping? If yes, can 2015 be flashed to 2017?
eisfeld likes this.

2015 Yellow Icon
2017 SuperSport S (soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My guess it would be worse. Probably why the modified throttle tube is standard now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
The new throttle tube and mapping are because of customer/reviewer complaints and not because of Euro 4. The first bike shown with the updates was the Desert Sled which is more intended for offroad and twitchy throttles have no place there. There are many Euro 4 bikes now and I haven't found a single report of worse fueling because of the new regulations. They are quieter and might have bigger exhausts but that's about it. Ducati had just messed up the tuning with the original Scrambler which is amazing because this engine has been around for a long time already. They are bringing new models in a percieved monthly interval, how much time do they have to really fine tune them? Look at Triumph and BMW for example who have spot-on fueling on some of their bikes, completely Euro 4 compliant. There really is no excuse for shitty fueling.

I brought my Scrambler in for the 24k service and have asked them to check if the new throttle tube and mapping can be fitted to the 2015 model but in 2 weeks I haven't heard back...

Reviewers of the Desert Sled praised the improved throttle response and fueling.

qed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 AM

Sorry but I disagree - at least in theory. ...
Most EFI bikes have lean fuel issues which is why boosterplug and power commander have a market. Not because of EFI - because of the emissions regs and the subsequent lean fuel mappings. Before this you still had to play with carb jets to get it right though there was more tolerance. A variable throttle arrangement is a workaround to mask the lean off idle issues. I can't help think that because they did not implement this in 2015, they figured they could get away with it. Now they can't so to me this means the issues are worse, which you would expect (unless they have 2 injectors now?). Like I said, just my gut feel. Would be interested to hear real world feedback - with a standard throttle tube fitted to level the parameters of the test.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Many bikes come with issues when first introduced. On subsequent updates, they try to iron out these issues if they deem it important enough. Many bikes needed quite some changes for 2017 due to Euro 4 so an they had to push out model updates anyways. Ducati from day one in 2015 told people they were working on fixing the fueling of the bike, see for example the Motorcycle.com review from back then. It took just 2 years for them to finish that it seems. I've seen reviews that said there's not so much lurching anymore at steady speeds. How would they do that if it ran even leaner? A progressive throttle tube wouldn't be able to fix that. They just fixed their messy fueling finally it seems. Yamaha went through the same game with their MT-09 and MT-10. Both got fuel map updates that smoothen out the throttle. Has nothing to do with emissions. And like I said, there are many bikes with super smooth fueling despite Euro 4. Now maybe the 2015 Scrambler has a really hard time because of the single fuel injector? Anyways a test ride of the Desert Sled should shed some light. I've also emailed another Ducati dealer to see if those updates can be retrofitted to the 2015 model.

qed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisfeld View Post
Now maybe the 2015 Scrambler has a really hard time because of the single fuel injector?
Certainly that and being aircooled.
Don't get me wrong - any jiggery pokery to keep bikes like this available is great. Winter is coming though and throttle "gearing" will only cover so much.
Richer engines run better - always have and always will.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No issue

Since I started this thread I'll jump in with my opine...at least on my bike.

The "fueling" is perfect, but the throttle is sensitive.

By fueling I mean smoothness throughout the rev range, and on and off (not jerking) the throttle in every gear.

Having said that, one needs to be quite precise with the throttle in low gears at low speeds when the drive train is not heavily loaded.

It's really a none issue with me. If it's a bother for some, the Desert Sled throttle tube or the after market should help, since revised tubes essentially make twisting less sensitive for the first 70 degrees or so of twist.

The bike has a wonderful engine, that is very well sorted.
Karlo likes this.

2015 Yellow Icon
2017 SuperSport S (soon)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What I have noticed on my Icon is that throttle is way smooth now as compared it was when it was new. No more sensitive throttle. It has 4K miles on it and I recall throttle being twitchy till I hit about 1800 miles. Almost threw me off the bike on a turn once

Good that I didn't spend money on power commander or similar gizmos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page