LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Is the power real ?

Hello fellow riders,

I'm a rookie in the road motorcycle world, I've had plenty of dirtbikes before but I just got my license to conquer the tarmac. I'm 22 years old, 5'10'' and weight 220lbs. I've been looking at the ducati scrambler since it came out and boy, I must say that I've been dreaming about it since then !

But there is something that brake me to get one ... Is the bike powerful enough ? I'm not the kind of guy to go 150mph on the highway or looking for a big street bomb, but I really like the acceleration part and going into serpentine routes..

I had other questions before like, is the bike comfortable (yes with aftermarket seat and suspension), is it good at high speed (pretty much, but better with a little windscreen and lower handlebars), is it a good beginner bike (absolutely) ? But all of those have been answered.

So the only one that still block me is the power. Is the bike powerful enough for a 220lbs guy ?

Thank you guys !
Regards from Canada, eh !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Location: Portland, Texas(across the bay from Corpus Christi)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine Allard View Post
Hello fellow riders,

I'm a rookie in the road motorcycle world, I've had plenty of dirtbikes before but I just got my license to conquer the tarmac. I'm 22 years old, 5'10'' and weight 220lbs. I've been looking at the ducati scrambler since it came out and boy, I must say that I've been dreaming about it since then !

But there is something that brake me to get one ... Is the bike powerful enough ? I'm not the kind of guy to go 150mph on the highway or looking for a big street bomb, but I really like the acceleration part and going into serpentine routes..

I had other questions before like, is the bike comfortable (yes with aftermarket seat and suspension), is it good at high speed (pretty much, but better with a little windscreen and lower handlebars), is it a good beginner bike (absolutely) ? But all of those have been answered.

So the only one that still block me is the power. Is the bike powerful enough for a 220lbs guy ?

Thank you guys !
Regards from Canada, eh !

I am 5'11" 220, It has plenty of power. Wind is an issue at freeway speeds and higher, but it is a naked bake, that is to be expected. I put the Full Throttle bars on mine, I like them a little lower. But that is a personal choice.
Antoine Allard likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I am something more than that, and i'm happy with the power

The good thing about beeing heavy, is that you dont need super light carbon fiber parts, wich cost 10000$ you can loose some of your own weight to gain lightness
Skulls and Antoine Allard like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have three Ducatis and the scrambler has the least horse power but yet, there is something really enjoyable about riding it. It is smooth, handles great and is quite comfortable. On most rides I am on, the power is really adequate. I rode 1,500 miles on a several day sport tour with a bunch of friends all on way more powerful bikes. I kept up throughout the trip and in the tight turns, left most of them behind, all while getting about 55 miles per gallon. The Scrambler has a way of being great by doing so many things well.

So yes, in my opinion the power is fine.
gnelson and Antoine Allard like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChief View Post
I am 5'11" 220, It has plenty of power.
Good to hear ! And I know for the wind but it doesn't really bother me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I am something more than that, and i'm happy with the power

The good thing about beeing heavy, is that you dont need super light carbon fiber parts, wich cost 10000$ you can loose some of your own weight to gain lightness
That's true, little sessions to the gym and the power of the bike goes up easy like that haha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by runacrm432na View Post
I have three Ducatis and the scrambler has the least horse power but yet, there is something really enjoyable about riding it. It is smooth, handles great and is quite comfortable. On most rides I am on, the power is really adequate. I rode 1,500 miles on a several day sport tour with a bunch of friends all on way more powerful bikes. I kept up throughout the trip and in the tight turns, left most of them behind, all while getting about 55 miles per gallon. The Scrambler has a way of being great by doing so many things well.

So yes, in my opinion the power is fine.
Cheers. Great in tight turns ? I'm in ! Probably gonna get that bike for sure now, probably make my friends jealous the first time they'll try it hehe.

Thanks for the replies guys !
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm a little late chiming in here, but I'm a heavy rider as well. Like the others, I've had no complaints about power. I commute to work on freeway, 80-95 mph most of the way w/o issue. As noted, above that and wind is the issue. It's a great, comfortable , fun bike with plenty of oomph.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page