LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to chain tension? video

hey guys

anyone knows the procedure-tools needed to adjust chain tension in my Classic?

anyone has a home made video or something to know the tools and procedure?

Right now my bike has 3000km and I am thinking I should take a look if it's tighten enough, since I am having a 1200km trip in a few days

thanks a lot

Last edited by Karlo; 12-21-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Hello

You don't need a video to adjust your chain tension, but rather some mechanics tools ;-)

If you have a rear stand, put your bike on.
Then untight the axle nuts just enough to let the axle move.
Then, turn the tension settings so that the wheel axle goes backwards, the chain tension will increase.

The right tension is achieved when your chain can go upwards and downwards approx 3 cm, pushing it in the center point beteween the front and rear sprockets.

Then tighten again the axle nuts and the tension settings nuts (after).
Karlo likes this.

VinceLP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
hey guys

anyone knows the procedure-tools needed to adjust chain tension in my Classic?

anyone has a home made video or something to know the tools and procedure?

Right now my bike has 3000km and I am thinking I should take a look if it's tighten enough, since I am having a 1200km trip in a few days

thanks a lot
Check the manual that is available for free on Ducati scrambler homepage.

It's not difficult but you need to unlock the big axle nuts, move the axis vs front axis (hence tighten och untighten the chain) by screwing or unscrewing the small nut on left side (this side first) aimed at the axis from behind. This until chain can move around max 1"=25.4 mm or so up/down on the middle measured from pulled down with hand force, to pushed up with hand force. Use something to measure. Exact value is in manual and also on a sticker (which i removed) on the bike.

When that is accomplished you adjust the small nut on right side too, so that the distance markings (the are right by the middle nut and the axis nut) on both sides match (so that the wheel rolls straight ahead). After that you need to tighten the big nuts to around 150 Nm as per manual (please try making the axis center in the wheel so that you dont have too much threads sticking out on one side). Then another torque value i dont remember to tighten the small nuts. And then double check chain and wheel alignment markings again.

And please advise, 150 Nm is a lot. If you have a wrench that gives you 15 cm of leverage you need to put 100 kg of weight on it (100 kg is around 1000 N, and 15 cm is 0.15 m so 1000*0.15=150 Nm).

Hope this helped. Stand might make it easier but dont tip the bike with the torque! I didn't use stand.

Adjusting chain helped me. My wheel was a bit misaligned and too slack before so it jumped and was a bit noisy. now it purrs like a kitten =)
Karlo and MartinSK like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbn Bngtssn View Post
Check the manual that is available for free on Ducati scrambler homepage.

It's not difficult but you need to unlock the big axle nuts, move the axis vs front axis (hence tighten och untighten the chain) by screwing or unscrewing the small nut on left side (this side first) aimed at the axis from behind. This until chain can move around max 1"=25.4 mm or so up/down on the middle measured from pulled down with hand force, to pushed up with hand force. Use something to measure. Exact value is in manual and also on a sticker (which i removed) on the bike.

When that is accomplished you adjust the small nut on right side too, so that the distance markings (the are right by the middle nut and the axis nut) on both sides match (so that the wheel rolls straight ahead). After that you need to tighten the big nuts to around 150 Nm as per manual (please try making the axis center in the wheel so that you dont have too much threads sticking out on one side). Then another torque value i dont remember to tighten the small nuts. And then double check chain and wheel alignment markings again.

And please advise, 150 Nm is a lot. If you have a wrench that gives you 15 cm of leverage you need to put 100 kg of weight on it (100 kg is around 1000 N, and 15 cm is 0.15 m so 1000*0.15=150 Nm).

Hope this helped. Stand might make it easier but dont tip the bike with the torque! I didn't use stand.

Adjusting chain helped me. My wheel was a bit misaligned and too slack before so it jumped and was a bit noisy. now it purrs like a kitten =)
P.s. Maybe check alignment, nut tightness and chain slack again after first ride. E.g. heat makes steel bigger, so you can maybe tighten a but more if it's warm..
Karlo likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page