LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sixty2 vs Icon

Hi All

I am an older new rider (49) who has scooters when I was younger in Europe but haven't ridden for 25 years. Just took my safety course and got my license. Have decided to get a Scrambler as first bike for a whole host of reason, one of which is that I can (not a kid anymore who has to worry about every dime).

So I did back to back test rides of the 62 and Icon last week. First on the 62 I felt immediately comfortable and was able to put in place all the things they covered on the course (looking through the turn, gradual acceleration, etc.). Switched to the Icon and it felt like everything changed. The throttle response was so immediate that I found myself tense straight away and when it came to turn in to the corners it seemed to run away from me and I ended up going through the corner faster than i wanted to.

Are these just things that I will get the hang off with the Icon if I plump for that one or am I better off sticking to the 62 and deal with the running out of power issue when I get there (No rules say you can't have 2 bikes are there?). The common critique of the Scrambler 800 is that the throttle is very grabby and the low end torque, while being the fun bit for you guys who have been riding all these years I have been trundling around in a cage, can feel a bit intimidating for a newbie.

So advice please. Will I adjust to the Icon quickly or should I plump for the 62?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No new bike has ever been perfect for me, I've always had an adjustment period during which I determine the changes I need to make the bike "rideable", comfortable & safe. Will you adjust to the Icon?, maybe. As a new rider, you had an immediate confidence boast on the '62 & unease on the Icon. It can take many months and/or miles for new riders to reach a comfort level that you may already have with the '62. And if you have the financial flexibility, I can see upgrading to an Icon in the future, if you choose. Best of luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Bee

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sounds to me like the sixty 2 is the bike for you at this point. After a while when you get more confidence and miles you can always trade up to the icon. The throttle on the 800s is a little intimidating and I would hate to see you get the bike and then not ride it because of the throttle. Like you say there's nothing that says you can't have more than one bike!

Just my two cents worth.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The sixty2 is an awesome wee bike.. Even for an experienced rider.
It's not all about more more more..
If you're happier with the sixty2 test ride, then buy the sixty2.

I've been riding 34 years and my other bike is a BMW R1200GS.
I had a test ride on the Full Throttle but decided I'd rather be able to push the bike to it's limits before reaching mine.
I haven't grinned so much on a bike in years. Over 600 miles in the first week. It's even good for motorway/freeway speeds.

The only downside so far is that there are not so many options for an aftermarket exhaust....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm going to go the other way to those above and say get the icon. I too had an extended break from riding and the Icon was my first bike back. Doesn't take long to get into the swing of it and I think you'll love the 62 for bit but soon be ready for the Icon (disclosure: I have not ridden a 62).

My experience, and that of others around the forum, is that the throttle settles down and you get used to it. Here is an article about how the ECU adapts over time. As a result the throttle does improve.

My vote goes to the Icon. And lets not forget the red ones go even faster.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 AM

There's an axiom that says you can't have too much horsepower. I spent a few weeks riding a BMW RR 1000 and "got used to it" although it was a bit thrilling at first. Now I ride a yellow ICON and am as happy as can be, although it could use a little more HP...;-) By the way I'm a 68 year old and have been riding since age 16. Get the model that makes your heart sing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:19 AM

I test rode the 62 and found it to be a fantastic bike for throwing around, If they did the 62 in the classic look I would have gone for it but went for the classic. I came from a 125 and manage the power fine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:32 PM

Low cc bikes are super fun because you can go crazy on them. I have a Bonneville t120 and i absolutely love it but i have to consciously keep in the back of my head to not go wild with it because it's big and powerful and I can be off the side of a cliff in a heartbeat. I have a CBR300 as a low cc bike and it's too much fun but i'm thinking of trading it for a Sixty2 because I want a few more ccs for 2 up city riding and I like the look of the Sixty2 over the sport bike.

I would honestly say, "what's your riding style going to be?" If it's mostly city with the occasionaly trip to the twisties, then the Sixty2 would be perfect. If you're going to do a good amount long distance touring, then I might suggest the 800cc, although the Sixty2 is fine for that too. My difficulty with the Sixty2 is the price point. Being only $500-$1000 less than the Scrambler it's going to lure most people to "just get the 800cc and get used to the throttle". I got scare away from the Scrambler because recently here in San Francisco where I live, I guy crashed his Scrambler on the Golden Gate Bridge and died after only owning it for a week. Not that it couldn't happen to me or anyone else on a CBR300, Bonneville or whatever, but it made me take a step back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:17 PM

I went through this exact same decision process a couple months ago purchasing the Scrambler as my first bike. With the Sixty2 and Icon being priced only $1,000 apart, I had a hard time justifying the Sixty2 initially. However once I started pricing insurance as a new rider, the Sixty2 made the most sense for me.

So in July, I picked up my Atomic Tangerine Sixty2 and couldn't be happier. It is very balanced... not so much power that it scares me away, but also not underpowered by any means. It is a fantastic commuting machine, and still fully capable of being out on the freeway when necessary. I'm really comfortable on it and it is confidence inspiring. I'm loving it, and get compliments everywhere I go with it. Even my uncle who has ridden most of his life and currently has a 1900cc cruiser got off of my Sixty2 with a huge grin on his face.

Eventually the Sixty2 will be passed down to my girlfriend to learn to ride on, and I will upgrade to an Icon. In the meantime, I am enjoying my Sixty2 and have no regrets whatsoever.
Karlo likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page