7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Handlebars

I have been deliberating a few possible changes on my Icon which so far has only been gifted a reasonable slip-on (tho' there are a few cosmetics, carbon etc). My main beef is with the handlebars. I am looking at getting the FT bars but wondered if there was a cheaper alternative (tried and tested) that offers the same height/width etc and wont need too much or any drilling etc.?
A couple more things......Will the cables cope with the different bars without needing shortening? Will there be a reduction in buffeting to the body?

This will have been dealt with in other threads but I cant find the info. Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
The advantage of the FT Handlebars is that they come with all you need to mount everything, due to them being thicker in the middle you need to change out the Speedo and Bar mounts (included in kit) plus all holes are pre drilled, cables require no change.

They are not expensive and are worth their money in my opinion, dont know if you can do it cheaper but I suspect its not really possible.

I can vouch that it is, for me, the single most usefull and important mod I have made to the bike.
Mixup, gnelson and se31193 like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
The advantage of the FT Handlebars is that they come with all you need to mount everything, due to them being thicker in the middle you need to change out the Speedo and Bar mounts (included in kit) plus all holes are pre drilled, cables require no change.

They are not expensive and are worth their money in my opinion, dont know if you can do it cheaper but I suspect its not really possible.

I can vouch that it is, for me, the single most usefull and important mod I have made to the bike.
Agreed, not expensive and glad I did it. 30 minute job. Beats all the experimentation, cost and adjustment of DIY.
se31193 likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thats great guys, how about the buffeting? Was going to add a Dart screen later on anyway but wondered if the lower bars had an initial impact....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I changed my Icon bars to Renthal Street Ultra Low (7/8inch = 22mm) Ducati did the work. Took them 30 minutes. No additional expense on hardware. Total cost (bars with labor) was only $100 (Note: this is in the Philippines).

I am 5'10", 185lbs. Medium build. If I had to rank all my upgrades, swapping the bars was my best move. Bang for buck.

Regarding buffeting, I don't have other big motorcycles to compare.. But I am not bothered one bit. I have taken my Icon up to 160km and at that speed I'm slightly tucked. My usual speed of 100-120km I am upright and don't mind the wind.

Perhaps it's the Philippine climate, any wind is greatly appreciated.
Ladybishop likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi,
I have tried a number of different bends, all of which had their benefits over the stock Icon bars.

Like Xtyling, I tried Renthal ultra-low, as well as their medium superbike bar.

I also tried Domino 5.5inch trials bars, which were a great bend, and much like the FT bars (cost £27) (and with a flyscreen similar to the Dart, greatly improved touring comfort)

Finally, I ended up with Chrome Triumph T120 export bars which, for me are just fantastic (I love the '70's US Ascott dirt-track look)

All were 22mm dia, so didn't require new bar mounts
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
i purchased the Rizoma handlebar which was low and small, so much so that had transformed my wonderful scrambler into a cafe racer...i hated it and lasted 42 hrs. Took back the original handlebar, painted in black and 2 hrs later i was on road happy like a child.
outofthebox likes this.

Massimiliano

Instagram:
Tropy73

Ducati Scrambler Icon
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybishop View Post
Thats great guys, how about the buffeting? Was going to add a Dart screen later on anyway but wondered if the lower bars had an initial impact....
FT bars just feel right for me at 185cm tall. I have added the Dart Screen which is good at legal speeds and takes some pressure off my arms.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so far guys. I will go for the FT bars I reckon and see how they go before a fly screen. I want to keep it naked for now. I'm 5'7 so I'm hoping to tuck in nicely with the lower stance. Dont suppose anyone here has tried clip-ons? or is that going against the 'point' of the bike....?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
....oops, just noticed the thread on clip-ons. Seems like a big faff to me! and pricey. I reckon the flat bars are the most 'fitting' for this bike.... Would be nice to see a fairly stock Icon with the clip-ons just to see though....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page